Thursday, September 3, 2009

June 2009 - Mary's Graduation

Finally I made to the end of the road to graduation. It was a long road and boy was it worth it. I am so happy to have graduated and closed that part of my life. Don't get me wrong I am grateful that I had the opportunity to go to school but it was a long road and I am glad to be done. I did two years of undergraduate work at BYU then I went to Midwestern University where I earned a Doctor of Pharmacy. That's right you can call me Dr. Merrill!!
















My father was able to hood me at graduation. He probably doesn't want me to tell this story but I have to. . . The night before graduation there was a banquet held in honor of the graduates. I invited my mom and dad to join Dan and I in this celebratory dinner. I picked up my mom and Dan met us there. Because our family seems to be so busy, Dad of course was double booked and he had to go to a Kiwanas (he's the president) Club meeting before coming to the banquet. Prveviously however, Dad hurt his back and essentially couldn't do much without being in pain. So he shows up late to the banquet but could barely make it there. We even considered asking the hotel if they had a wheelchair we could use. I asked Dad if he had taken anything for the pain (i.e. drugs), as you know I am a druggist, and of course his reply was no. So I leave the banquet to find a gift shop at the hotel that might sell some medication. They were closed but I convinced the cashier to sell me some drugs through the gate (a little shady I know!). With a little bit of drugs and laughter, we were able to make it through the dinner with little embarassment on my part in front of my fellow graduates. The next day. . . was graduation. Remember he was supposed to hood me. How was my Dad who could barely walk supposed to hood me in front of hundreds of people? I asked the same question. . . . Somehow we made it through and it was all quite enjoyable. I laugh about it now and am grateful that my dad was able to be there with me to share this important event in my life.




















Of course Dan was there to support me and I think he was just about as excited as I was to be done with school.




















Nonna was there cheering nice and loud like a grandma should. She seemed very proud and was happy to be there. Dan's dad, John, was also there however I didn't seem to get a picture of him.
















Daniella came as well. . .
















And Sara. . . . She might not like this picture but I think we look very happy in this photo.




















Dad wanted this picture since we will all be doctors one day. We're just waiting on Ben to be done with school. Soon enough he'll be done too! (~2 years to go)




















Samantha was there to support me but none of her brothers wanted to come. They though it would be too boring to come to graduation. Honestly I kind of agree with them. Graudation ceremonies are kind of boring, even when you're the one graduating.
















After the ceremony we all went out to lunch to a super yummy Indian restaurant. Even Kendell had fun there.














No comments:

Post a Comment